• Home
  • First time students
  • Online services
  • Financing study
  • Tools and calculators
  • About StudyLink

Information for Canterbury students

18 April 2011

LATEST UPDATE 2pm 5 January 2012. Information for students and providers in the Canterbury Region on payments, transferring providers, exchanges, and fee refunds. As well as information about getting your parents' income reassessed and emergency welfare assistance.

Student payments, exchanges and refunds

If you are currently receiving Student Allowance, Student Loan, Unemployment Benefit Student Hardship or scholarship payments you will continue to receive your payments as normal for the present.

If you are not yet receiving payments but have received an approval letter for your Student Allowance or Loan Entitlement Advice, you will receive your payments as per the letter you have received for the present.

If any changes need to be made to the way we provide support to those who are in need over the coming weeks we will let you know.

If you are unsure, you can check your next payment details online using MyStudyLink.

Reassessment of parents’ income

If you already receive a Student Allowance and your parents' income has changed you may be able to have it reassessed.

Your parents' income can be reassessed if:

  • it has dropped by at least 25% since the last assessment
  • your parents combined income exceeds the 'Parental Income Threshold' amount of $55,027.96 as at 1 April 2011 and
  • their current taxable income (before tax) is under $82,953.82 a year if you live at home or under $89,936.68 a year if you live away from home.

You can download the Reassessment of parents' income application from our website.

If you have applied for a Student Allowance but your application has not yet been approved or your application was declined due to your parents' income, your parents can complete a new parents' form and provide evidence of their new income.

You can download the Student Allowance parents' form from our website.

If have not previously applied for a Student Allowance but believe you may now qualify, you can apply online at www.studylink.govt.nz.

Christchurch Outreach office closed

StudyLink's Christchurch Outreach office is closed until further notice.

Earthquake Government Helpline

If you need information on income support, housing options, health issues, community assistance, Civil Defence or any other government service can call the Earthquake Government Helpline on 0800 77 999 7 (0800, double seven, triple nine, seven), Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm.

Emergency financial assistance

If you require emergency financial assistance please call the Earthquake Government Helpline on 0800 77 999 7 or visit your nearest Work and Income centre.

Where to find help

For information and financial support call the Earthquake Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 - Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm.

You can also go to a Work and Income or a Community Link office, or one of the Recovery Information Kiosks that have been set up throughout Christchurch.

Recovery Information Kiosks hold information on the help available to people.

Please use the below link to view the most up-to-date sites and locations.

Additional information for those affected by the earthquake

Education Provider campuses

For the most up to date information regarding individual education providers please visit their websites.

Ministry of Education updates

For the most up to date information regarding primary and secondary schools please visit the Ministry of Education website.

New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) information

The NZQA website contains information for both secondary and tertiary students regarding closures and the impact on the study year.

Inland Revenue - Student Loan repayments

If you've been directly affected by the Christchurch earthquake and are experiencing hardship in meeting your Student Loan repayments, call Inland Revenue's disaster helpline 0800 473 566. They will take a realistic approach and work with you to sort things out.

Earthquake factsheets

An information factsheet that has been compiled by the Office of Ethnic Affairs, for those affected by the earthquake.

Red Cross Emergency Grants

The New Zealand Red Cross 2011 Earthquake Commission has established two grants for people affected by the Christchurch earthquake: an Emergency and Hardship Grant and a Bereavement Grant.

About the Emergency and Hardship Grant

The New Zealand Red Cross 2011 Earthquake Commission will offer an Emergency and Hardship Grant for people living in their homes without power or water or sewerage, or people forced to leave their home because of damage or because they have no water or power or sewerage.

About the Bereavement Grant

The Bereavement Grant will provide $10,000 for the next of kin of confirmed deceased.

How to apply

You can download an application from the Red Cross website.  For grant enquiries please call 0800 754 726

Last updated: 22 March 2014