Temporary Additional Support
Temporary Additional Support can help for a short time if you can't meet your necessary living costs and need help while you sort out your situation
How to apply
When you check what you can get, you will find out if you are entitled to Temporary Additional Support, and can apply online.
To get Temporary Additional Support you need to meet these criteria:
- be over 16 years old
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here
- have essential living costs that you have no other way to meet
- are not already getting Special Benefit.
If you are a full-time student, you must also:
- have a dependent child, or
- have disability costs for any family member that exceeds the maximum rate of Disability Allowance.
To work out if you can get this help we also look at:
- how much you and your spouse or partner earn
- any money or assets you and your spouse or partner have
- whether we can help you in other ways
- the types of costs you are paying for
- what you are doing to meet or reduce your costs.
If you can't apply online, download the Extra Help form from the Forms and Brochures page. It includes the application for Temporary Additional Support and also other kinds of help that you may be entitled to.