De facto relationship
Information about the characteristics of a de facto relationship
We consider that you're in a de facto relationship when you and your partner:
- are aged 16 or older
- have a relationship in the nature of marriage, eg you:
- live together
- are emotionally committed to each other
- share your living costs (eg rent, food, power, etc).
16 or 17
Where one or both of the couple are 16 or 17, we need to see either:
- written consent from both parents for the couple to live together in a de facto relationship or
- an order from a Family Court judge giving consent to the couple to live together.