Shared care and Jobseeker Support Student Hardship.
How it works
If you and your ex-partner have shared care of your children and:
- only you are on a benefit, we can include the child on your benefit if they are a dependent child
- you're both on a benefit, we can only include the child on one of your benefits.
Both you and your ex-partner on a benefit
If you and your ex-partner both have the child at least 40% of the time, whoever has greater responsibility of the child will have them included on their benefit, eg, we would look at who:
- decides about the child's daily activities
- takes them to and from school and supervises leisure activities
- makes decisions about their education and health
- pays for which expenses.