Coming to New Zealand to study
If you've been living overseas and come to New Zealand to study, you may be able to get some help from us.
You need to be either:
- a New Zealand citizen or
- ordinarily resident in New Zealand and either:
- have been living in New Zealand for at least 3 years while holding a residence class visa, or
- be a refugee or protected person, or
- be sponsored into New Zealand by someone in your family who, at the time you were sponsored, was a refugee or protected person.
What you can get
If you're in one of these situations, you may be able to get a:
- Student Loan to help pay for your:
- compulsory course fees
- course-related costs
- living costs
- Student Allowance to help pay for your living costs.