No relationship with parents
If you don't have any parents, or you don't have any kind of relationship with your parents, your Student Allowance may not depend on any parental income.
Your Student Allowance won't depend on any parental income if:
- you can’t live with or be supported by your parents because of a family breakdown
- you are (or were) a ward of the state of court
- you’re an orphan and don't live with someone acting as a parent
- one of your parents is in prison or a psychiatric hospital and the other parent can’t support you.
No financial support
If your parents don't give you any financial support but you have a relationship with them, your Student Allowance will still depend on their income.
If there’s another reason why you get no support, call us to discuss your situation.
What you need to do
Apply online for a Student Allowance (if you haven’t already).
You will be provided with an Independent Circumstances Allowance application form to download at the end of Apply Online.
Alternatively, you can download the form.
- Fill out the Independent Circumstances Allowance application form.
- Get someone who knows about your situation and you've known for at least a year (eg a doctor, counsellor, church minister) to complete the supporting statement in the form.
- Get evidence of your situation (the application form will tell you what to provide).
- Log in to Connect and upload your form and evidence.