Relationship with only 1 parent
If you only have 1 parent, or you only have a relationship with 1 parent, we may be able to just use that parent’s income to work out how much you get for the Student Allowance.
You may only have 1 parent because the other parent:
- has died
- is in prison
- has been issued with an inpatient order under the Mental Health Act.
Or your parents aren't living together and:
- you’ve been abused by a parent
- you’ve had a relationship breakdown with a parent and contact between you would have a detrimental psychological impact on yourself or your parent
- you don’t know where a parent is.
Usually, we'll consider that you have 2 parents when:
- your parent has a new partner, or
- your parents are living together, or
- there's another person supporting you as well as your parent (eg, another relative), or
- your parent isn't earning any income, or
- your parent doesn't give you any financial support, or
- your parent doesn't approve of you studying, or
- you don't live with your parents.